Join our facebook group, too!
ANA Community Meeting Minutes (unapproved)
Monday, November 1, 2010
Salvation Army, 2727 Central Avenue
1. Call to Order/Welcome
2. Review Agenda
a. Park & Recreation Board officials
b. Metro Blooms rain garden project update
c. Election of neighborhood “elector” for NRC elections
d. Change in schedule and location of future community meetings
3. Approve September 2010 Community Meeting Minutes
a. Motion made to approve and seconded. Motion carried unanimously.
4. President’s Report
a. The Neighborhood Revitalization Program is establishing a Neighborhood Community Relations Program.
The program’s will address revitalization and economic challenges in the communities. The NRP Policy Board is requesting neighborhood organizations to elect one “elector” and one alternate to represent their neighborhood at a meeting on November 18. The attendees were asked if anyone would volunteer for this position, but none expressed interest.
5. Treasurer’s Report
a. As the Treasurer, Lisa Friedman, was unable to attend, Mr Pederson summarized our status. We have a total of $8,000 in our current accounts, having recently received NRP funds. The association is fully solvent.
6. Committee Reports
a. Corri Sandwick, chair of the Housing Committee, announced that Center for Energy and Environment continues to provide workshops and home inspections to residents. Interested homeowners can attend workshops outside of the Audubon Park neighborhood.
Also, CEE is offering a $400 rebate for insulation and similar work. Interested residents can contact Michael Waehner at 612-335-5851.
b. Matt Brown announced that there have been no developments regarding Hollywood Theater.
c. Nic Baker agreed to chair the Communications Committee.
7. Unfinished Business (None)
8. New Business
a. Scott (last name missed) is our new contact with the Park & Recreation Board. He will continue to work out of the board office in the Audubon Park recreation center. Scott noted that a major issue for the board will be budget cuts, the level of which will depend on the results of the November 2 election.
b. Newman Thomas, Outreach Specialist with the Park & Recreation Board, introduced himself. Norman is responsible for “Youthline” team outreach, which sponsors summer and after-school programs. He also assigns officials for youth and adult sport programs.
c. Liz Wielinski, Commissioner District I of the Park & Recreation Board, discussed “Next Generation Park,” a long-term plan regarding proposed park area along the riverfront from the Stone Arch Bridge to the north city limits. The board received 55 responses to a request for qualifications for developers, and selected four. Each of these firms received $30,000 to develop a final design for riverfront development. The winner will be announced the first week of February, at which time the final design will be funded by the Minneapolis Parks Foundation and development will begin.
The parkland will increase recreational activities, such as extended bicycle trails, and may include performance spaces or a marina. There will be open fields for sports, such as soccer, but no baseball diamonds or other specialized areas..
Finally, the board is performing a field use study and will notify us of any changes being considered, such as converting baseball diamonds to soccer fields.
A representative from the new “Journal” publication covering Downtown and Northeast was scheduled to address the meeting, but was ill today. She hopes to attend the community meeting in January.
10. Rain Garden Project
a. Matt Brown announced that the ANA received a $2,000 grant from the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) toward the rain garden project, which will be used to pay half of the $50 consultation fee for the first 50 participating homeowners. Up to fifteen homeowners’ gardens will then be subsidized by the MWMO grant. Interested residents can call 651-699-2426.
11. Audubon Super Sale
a. In the past, ANA has sponsored a neighborhood-wide garage sale with multiple households participating. Although response was positive, the event has not been held in recent years because no one has taken the lead. None of the meeting attendees expressed interest in doing so.
12. Meeting Schedule
a. Mr. Pederson distributed the schedule for board and community meetings in 2011. Community meetings will now be held every other month and will be moved to the Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church.
13. a. Mr. Pederson announced that there will be at least two openings on the Board of Directors and asked for volunteers. No meeting attendee expressed interest. Mr. Pederson asked attendees to discuss the openings with anyone they thought might be willing to serve on the board.
14. Meeting Information on Web Site
a. A resident said that she had trouble finding the meeting location on the ANA web site. Mr. Pederson responded that he will look into it and ensure that the location is more clearly identified in the future.
15. Don’t Dump on Northeast
a. Craig Kruse spoke to the residents as a representative of “Don’t Dump on Northeast,” a group that is opposing the city’s proposed hazardous waste transfer station at 340 27th Avenue NE. He and other members of that group are opposing the plan because of the station’s proximity to residential and commercial developments, traffic congestion, and potential health hazards. Mr. Kruse is asking ANA to contact city officials to register our opposition to the plan.
Two residents disagreed with his presentation. One said that his statements contradicted the information on the city’s web site; the other noted that there have been other such facilities in NE that have been “issueless.”
Mr. Pedersen pointed out that in the September meeting the board chose not to take a stand on the issue, but will reconsider in the January board meeting.
16. Northeast Minneapolis Harvest Gathering
a. Diane Langer provided information on the Fifth Annual Northeast Minneapolis Harvest Gathering, entitled “Unity in the Community.” The event will take place on November 22 at Northeast Middle School Cafeteria. Senator Amy Klobuchar will speak, and follow-up activities will include small-group discussions of how residents can become more involved in the community.
17. Jewelers’ Center at Hollywood Theater
a. Marty Schirber discussed a possible use for the Hollywood Theater: as a center of jewelers to produce and sell their goods. The main theater would provide space for shared tools and machinery as well as individual workspaces, while the lobby would serve as a retail center. Mr. Schirber has discussed the concept with local jewelers, and has gotten a very positive response. He is planning to have a meeting regarding a potential partnership.
18. Friends of Library
a. Michelle Filkins announced the there is a new Friends of Library group that will support the local branch of the city library system. They are currently seeking an endowment. Their first event will be a book sale, date to be announced.
a. A motion to adjourn was made and seconded and passed unanimously.