Join our facebook group, too!
Audubon Neighborhood Association
Monday February 16th, 7 PM
Salvation Army 727 Central Ave NE
Members Attending; Matt Brown, Deb Enloe, Amy Fields, Cathy Baugh, Erin Magnus, Craig Pederson
Guests: Laura Hoenack, ANA Staff, Stevie Larson, Restorative Justice Community Action
1. Call to Order/Welcome/Introductions
2. Review of tonight’s agenda
a. Matt added the consideration of the budget for our Spring WingDing event
3. Review and approve board meeting minutes from January 26th board meeting
A motion to adopt the minutes was made by Deb Enloe and second by Amy Fields.
4. Officer and Committee Reports
i. Cindy, Mark, & Matt went to a city hall meeting last week on the 29th Streetscape plan. Not going
to be accepted as part of the CLIC process this year. Not much will be happening soon, but we
will continue to pursue work on this plan.
ii. We received the bicycle amenities plan from the University graduate students. It is up on the
website for those who would like to review it.
iii. 2009 Work Plan will not be considered tonight, the board will look at it in March
i. Deb reported that the NRP account balance is $7,723.63 and the cash account balance is
i. The contracts for the Residential Stabilization Program and the $115,000 we’re putting into the
home improvement revolving loan fund are in process right now, these funds will be available
ii. The committee is discussing doing a mailing later this spring on housing programs.
d. Land Use Committee
i. Will be meeting tomorrow to update everyone on streetscape plan, park plan, and bicycle
e. Communications Committee
i. Not currently operating, no report
5. New Business
a. Guest: Stevie Larson, Restorative Justice Community Action (20 minutes)
i. In October 2008 Council member Ostrow invited RJCA to meet with him and discuss the
possibility of working in NE Mpls. The organization originated out of Steven’s Square, Loring
Park – Community work is encouraged as a way to address crime through community
participation in the criminal justice system.
ii. NE Mpls part of the program is just being launched now. RJCA is engaging in partnerships with
social service agencies, neighborhood associations and churches.
iii. Restorative justice views crime as more than just the breaking of the law. It harms specific
people, and has a pronounced effect on communities.
iv. RJCA brings together small groups of offenders and community members for “community
conferences”. Facilitators guide a discussion about the impact of the offense committed and how
the offender can make amends in a tangible, meaningful way. Agreements for community
restitution are decided by consensus with input from everyone involved.
v. Benefits: community sees immediate contributions in time, money, or goods from the offender.
vi. Offenders are referred to RJCA by the police. RJCA decides if the offense is eligible, committed
in a specific area, and whether or not the offender has a history of violent crime. It’s optional for
the offender to choose to participate in the program.
b. Adopt 2009 Work Plan
i. Will be discussed at the March meeting
c. Annual Budget
i. Board discussed expenditures from the past year and expectations for 2009.
ii. Deb will work with Laura to determine our current monthly expenses and will email the board the
draft of the final budget.
d. Park Planning Funds. In order to effectively raise funds for park improvements, we must complete a Park
Board sanctioned master planning process. The Land Use Committee recommends allocating $40,000 of
the remaining park funds for completing this process.
i. Park board had some concerns about the park master plan that we completed just a year ago.
ii. The $40,000 will go toward producing a master plan document through the park board. It will
likely involve a survey again.
iii. Once completed, the park board may be more likely to invest in the project
The board tabled the motion with more questions for the Land Use Committee. The board will attempt to get on the
agenda for a Park Board meeting in order to reconcile the park plan that we have already completed and the $40,000
request that is needed to create a new plan.
e. Johnstock. ANA contributed $800 to the 2008 Johnstock event. NRP required that ANA be included in
all marketing materials, which did not happen due to timing. If ANA does not contribute to the 2009
event, the $800 must be refunded.
i. The Board agreed to budget for the same amount for the 2009 event. Matt will connect with
f. Funding for Neighborhood Stabilization Program. ANA allocated $30,000 to the City of Lakes Community
Land Trust in 2007. This funding was intended to provide down payment assistance and has not resulted
in any activity.
i. The Housing Committee recommends reallocating the $30,000 to assist with demolition costs
incurred through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program
The motion to move the $30,000 from CLCLT to NSP was made by Erin Magnus, with a second by Deb Enloe.
g. Update Office Stationary. ANA does not have stationary that includes the address of the new office.
Mark Fox has offered to produce a letterhead, a digital letterhead, and business card for $100.
i. Amy will contact Carol to see if the organization has already contracted with her to complete the
letterhead and business card.
h. Welcome Packets
i. Last delivered in September, Laura will update the inventory and get them delivered for the last 5
months. Will consider using co-op reusable bags instead of the clear plastic envelope
i. Appoint New Board Member
i. Matt will follow up with some of the suggestions the board members came up with and update
everyone at the next meeting.
j. Select Officers
i. Craig Pederson – vice president
ii. Erin Magnus – secretary
Motion to approve this slate was made by Amy Fields, second by Cathy Baugh.
6. Unfinished business
a. The board reviewed the Wing Ding task force’s suggested budget. The task force is asking for
authorization to spend up to $3000 out of our administrative NRP contract for promotion for the spring
event in April.
A motion to allocate $1000 out of the NRP Admin contract to the task force was made by Craig Pederson with a request
for more detail by the next meeting. Second was by Erin Magnus.